Project Do HomeAbout Project DoCompleted Projects

15 November 2009

completion: tee, not designed

[ original assignment ]

Welp, I failed. Utterly and completely. You know how I said I was going to design a t-shirt this week? I didn't. I did nothing but procrastinate in the design department, and it's Sunday night and time to face the fact that I am not going to deliver on this one, this week.

Sigh.

I am not completely empty-handed, however. While I was procrastinating in all things tees, I was a bit more productive in the kitchen (which possibly contributed to my failure to do anything else... ). Today I made a butternut squash pie. Behold:




Recipe here (I substituted butternut squash for canned pumpkin) from Betty Crocker:

Old-Fashioned Pumpkin Pie (9-inch pie)

2 eggs
1 can (1 pound) pumpkin (2 cups)
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1 2/3 cups evaporated milk or light cream

Heat oven to 425°. Prepare pastry. Beat egg(s) slightly with rotary beater; beat in remaining ingredients. Pour into pastry-lined pie pan. Bake 15 minutes.

Reduce oven temperature to 350°. Bake 45 minutes longer or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool. If desired, serve with sweetened whipped cream.

Note: Try the "cousin" to this favorite pie by substituting mashed cooked squash or sweet potatoes for the pumpkin.

-------

Standard Pastry (8- or 9-inch one-crust pie)

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon shortening or 1/3 cup lard
2 to 3 tablespoons cold water

Measure flour and salt into bowl. Cut in shortening thoroughly. Sprinkle in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing until all flour is moistened and dough almost cleans side of bowl (1 to 2 teaspoons water can be added if needed).

Gather dough into ball; shape into flattened round on lightly floured cloth-covered board. With floured stockinet-covered rolling pin, roll dough 2 inches larger than inverted pie pan. Fold pastry into quarters; unfold and ease into pan.

Trim overhanging edge of pastry 1 inch from rim of pan. Fold and roll pastry under, even with pan; flute. Fill and bake as directed in recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment